Altex Energy is a crude oil transportation company that provides customers with infrastructure alternatives to pipelines. Altex provides medium to long term contracts to customers and producers to transport crude oil from our terminals to refineries and other markets via rail car. Altex partners with Canadian National Railway to provide a full service system to manage the loading, transportation, regulatory reporting and logistics of shipping crude oil and diluent using efficient systems and cost effective methods to manage the product to market.
Altex operates primarily in Alberta and Saskatchewan with an aggressive growth plan to continue to build and operate terminals to handle crude oil products for customers in Canada and the US.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Field Operations this role will be accountable to perform the following:
- Provide direction to all administrative, loading and other site staff in the day to day operations.
- Communicating and enforcing all of the standard operating procedures, processes and policies with respect to sampling, spin cuts and loading of crude oil.
- Troubleshooting operational issues as required ensuring smooth processing of trucks and railcar loading.
- Liaising with corporate logistics, CN, other customers and stakeholders to ensure efficient processing of the crude oil loading.
- Collaborate with other Managers and internal stakeholders as required to fully maximize operations and processes.
- Communicate issues to senior management as required.
- Supervise continued repair, maintenance and improvements to site to ensure quality of workmanship and project materials meet quality Standards.
Health and Safety
- Ensure the implementation of Health and Safety policies, protocols and processes to operate a safe and compliant site.
- Provide the appropriate direction to all staff and others as related to safe working procedures
- Ensure consistent use of all Personal Protective Equipment at all times on the site.
- Ensure appropriate regulatory and compliance requirements are understood, communicated and implemented as necessary.
- Conduct the appropriate training, orientation and audits to ensure full compliance.
- Liaise with Occupational Health, Safety and other agencies as required to represent Altex.
- Manage 3rd party contractors to ensure compliance with all of Altex policies including safety pre-qualifications.
- Investigating incidents and near misses with Health and Safety with a view toward positive action through training or equipment setup based on report of findings
Human Resources Management
- In conjunction with Human Resources, recruit, train, retain and develop all employees required to manage the site. This includes Administrators, Loaders, Foreman, Assistant Managers, Lead Hand, Health and Safety Officer, and others as necessary.
- Manage the scheduling and overtime allocations of all staff based on business need.
- Manage the performance expectations of all staff including recognition of meeting performance requirements and coaching required for others.
- Recommendations for all compensation changes including base salary increases, short term incentive recommendations and promotions.
- Approve all payroll hours including overtime and other premium hours as required.
- Coach and mentor staff as required.
- Create an environment where employees feel empowered and valued for their contributions.
- Manage the confidentiality of personal employee information as related to the employment agreement.
- Ensure the coordination and implementation of development plans for all employees.
- Manage progressive discipline in cases where it is warranted including recommendations for suspensions and terminations.
Budgeting and Financial Controls
- Complete annual budgeting process for operations requirements including staffing costs and other operations needs.
- Manage invoicing and Purchase Orders.
- Assess the quality of contractor workmanship and manage costs as required.
- Approve all invoices as related to services performed at the site.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
Education and Experience
- Minimum Grade 12
- Post - secondary education in Management or Oil Field Operations an asset
- Experience in the oil industry and/or rail experience an asset
- H2S alive, WHIMIS, TDG, Confined Space entry, First Aid, e-rail requirements
Competencies & Attributes:
- Ability to foster internal relationships with Senior Executives and other groups such as Business Development, Logistics, Human Resources and other groups as required.
- Previous experience dealing with large railways and/or transportation companies
- Knowledge of oil and gas industry
- Previous experience working in a trans loading facility or a similar role would be an asset.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety policies and regulatory requirements in Alberta and/or Saskatchewan required
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build and manage relationships internally and externally.
- 8-10 years of relevant experience in a Management role accountable for site operational and financial management.
- Experience in managing large groups of employees of different backgrounds, skill levels and motivational needs.
- Demonstrated people leadership skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Establish and maintain local market intelligence on competitors, customers and feedback regarding our services.
- Demonstrates a very high regard for safety in the workplace, and has a strong commitment to operational policies and procedures.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and the general use of computers as an aid to deliver on results.
- Exudes a high level of positive energy and is self motivated with unquestionable ethics and integrity
- Results oriented with an ability to respond to rapid growth, multiple demands and priorities.
- Possess a team-centric approach that is supportive and encouraging.
- Effective in being both strategic and tactical.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and leadership skills
- Demonstration of tenacity and ability to be assertive depending on the situation.
- Calm and articulate under pressure
- Ability to understand the business, data and make recommendations or decisions based on risk based factors.
Fort McMurray, AB
15% travel may be required..
We offer a competitive compensation package including an attractive base salary, short term and long term incentives.
Interested candidates should send their resume to: